Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Expanding Classroom Conversations

Expanding Classroom Conversations is a challenge. Students know how to talk, there’s no doubt about that! Sometimes we can’t get them to be quiet. However, when asked to discuss academic topics, the conversation can fall flat. Students often engage in a “Share-Stop” conversation. Student 1 shares and stops, then student 2 shares their idea and stops. The goal is to get them to expand upon each other’s ideas. That means they have to LISTEN to each other. What?

Common Core Anchor Standard 1 for Speaking and Listening is what the following activities are based on: 
Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others' ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.

The struggle was real in kindergarten this week as I tried to have students listen to each other and then respond.  After watching 2 videos on the changing of the seasons, we charted how weather changed with the seasons, and how as a result, our clothing changed. Students worked in groups of three to write and draw about what represented the season they were given. (Only one argument erupted when a boy drew on top of a girl’s tree.)
kinder group spring.jpg


There were two groups of three for each season. After about 7 minutes of work time, they all came to the carpet to share. Both summer groups came up at the same time, one on each side of me. Their task was to share one thing that was on their poster at a time. The other group had to listen. If they had the same thing, they would say, “I agree with you!” If they didn’t have that item, they would say, “I want to add on to your idea,” and share something from their poster.

Here are the two posters that groups made for Summer. Notice that one group added words and pictures, but the other group just has pictures. I didn't give them very much time to work, but if I had more time, I would make sure they all added a word to label their part of the picture.




Here is a transcript of their conversation. It took A LOT of teacher prompting and support, but I could easily see this becoming more routine for them with practice.


Teacher to group 1: What did you put on the poster?
Group 1: A butterfly
Teacher to group 2: Do you guys have a butterfly on your poster?
Group 2: No
Teacher to group 2: That’s OK, what are you going to say?
Group 2: We add on to you
Teacher to group 2: Very good, we add on. And, what did you put on the poster?
Teacher to group 1: Now you guys listen.
Group 2: I put on a guy
Teacher: What is the guy wearing?
Group 2: A swimsuit
Teacher to group 1: Did you hear what he put on?
Group 1: No
Teacher to group 2: Say it again
Group 2: I put a guy wearing a swimsuit
Teacher to group 1: Did you hear what he said this time?
Group 1: Yeah, a swimsuit
Teacher to group 1: And…?
Group 1: A swimsuit and…
Teacher to group 1: Did you guys put that?
Group 1: No
Teacher to group 1: That’s OK, so what do you say? Do you remember? Not I agree, because it’s not the same but what do you say? I want to…
Group 1: I want to add on
Teacher to group 1: Yes! Good job, and what are you going to add on? What did you put on the poster?
Teacher to group 2: Now you guys listen to see if it’s the same.
Group 1: I put a girl and me, which is right there.
Teacher to group 1: What are you wearing because it’s summer?
Group 1: A short sleeved shirt.
Teacher to group 2: Group? Did you hear what he said?
Group 2: A short sleeved shirt!
Teacher to group 2: And?
Group 2: I agree with you.
Teacher: Ah! They put the same thing!

Here's what the standards say for kindergarten:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.K.1.A
Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others and taking turns speaking about the topics and texts under discussion).

CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.K.1.B
Continue a conversation through multiple exchanges.


In the same day, I tried out a lesson in 6th grade. The goal was the same: To get students having interactive conversations.


After observing specific details in this picture, students in 6th grade were given the prompt to talk with a partner about what they had noticed. The partner needed to use conversation extending prompts to build upon the conversation. See transcript below.




Student 1: I noticed that there is very little food for 9 people in their family.
Student 2: Well I noticed that there is not much like beverages, or water or something. Like last time,  where there was a bunch of soda.
Student 1: I agree with you because It’s peculiar that they don’t have any.
Student 2: And I agree with you on your part because there really isn’t enough food! There’s just like enough stuff to make like 3 meals, not enough for a whole week.
Student 1: I’d like to add on to your idea because maybe that they don’t eat as much as we do and they don’t need as much food as we do.
Student 2: Yeah, I mean, I agree because it could just be like a religion or something.
Student 1: OK, ummm, I also noticed that their meal for the week is very healthy. There’s like no sugar, or…
Student 2: Yeah, there’s just like a can of milk in front of the potatoes.
Student 1: OK.


Leading up to this conversation, I had two students model a conversation in front of the class. I gave on the spot feedback to help them really focus on listening to each other and using the conversation extenders that I provided them with. It was a bit awkward at first, but they picked it up quickly. The transcript above was the third round of practice. I activated my voice recording app on my cell phone, and left it with the two students. I walked the room listening to other conversations. As a teacher, we don’t often get to hear full conversations because we are cruising and listening for key words to let us know that students are on track. Later, when I had time to listen to the recording, I found that the students could independently produce interactive conversations. What a fun way to formatively assess.

My next step would be to show them the transcript of the conversation and point out how the interaction helped dive deeper into the concept.

This work is great for all students to master, but is critical for our English Language Learners. When kids have the chance to verbally process thoughts, and practice using appropriate vocabulary, it makes the production of work so much easier. I can only imagine what classroom conversations will sound like in a few years after all teachers have had a chance to work on the standards from kinder on up!

1 comment: