Thursday, June 16, 2016

Professional Summer Reads- 2016

Professional Summer Reading



Here’s how I’ve started my summer off…With some great reads!!


(Don’t worry, I do alternate between fun and professional reading.)


Here are some of my professional recommendations.


Kids Deserve it!
By Todd Nesloney and Adam Welcome

My Review:
A quick read that made me laugh, cry and cheer. Great read for administrators, instructional leaders, and classroom teachers. I appreciated the specific and honest examples that Todd Nesloney and Adam Welcome included in this book. It is inspiring and it spreads a positive message for education. @KidsDeserveIt @awelcome & @techninjatodd





The Classroom Chef
By: John Stevens and Matt Vaudrey

My review:
These guys keep it real! They made me laugh often as they talked about their journey from first year teachers and on throughout their classroom years. I related to how they changed, evaluated, and took risks with their lessons. They did a great job explaining how they questioned the tasks, assignments, and assessments they put before their students. They use food analogies to take you from Velveeta, to a five course meal by tweaking, adding, and omitting pieces of their curriculum. Thanks for sharing your journey, and for helping me to consider mine! http://www.classroomchef.com/
@classroomchef @jstevens009 | @mrvaudrey



Quiet Power
By: Susan Cain

My Review:
I am reading this book out loud with my 11 year old son, and it is so powerful for both of us. Susan Cain does a great job of honoring the quiet power that introverts have. She identifies situations where they might feel awkward and gives them strategies for how to navigate successfully. She targets group work, public speaking and social interactions at school. This is a great read both for me as a teacher and a parent of an introverted child. Quiet Revolution



The Reason I Jump
By: Naoki Higashida

My Review:
What a great read! Such important insights into the mind of a 13 year old boy who has Autism. It is written in Q & A format so you can jump around to any part of the book that applies in that moment in time. He addresses why he flaps, repeats, makes sounds, is attracted to being outside, and so much more. It is amazing to me that he has found a way to be so articulate through his keyboard when it is so hard for him to verbally express himself. It makes me wonder about what is going on in the minds of so many of our kids. Also, check out the podcast on Cult of Pedagogy titled: What the Mother of an Autistic Child Wants You to Know. It's where I learned about this book.



No comments:

Post a Comment