Tuesday, April 1, 2014

My Journey with Technology

My first memorable learning experience with technology was in college. I had a boyfriend who was a computer science major at Berkeley. Once, while he was in class and I was waiting in his dorm room, I started exploring on his computer. This was obviously the beginning of my tech journey because as I opened window upon window, I realized that I didn't know how to close them. When he came back from class he laughed at me and then broke up with me one week later.

I did not let that experience deter me though, I used it as motivation to figure these things out. The next year I became the TA for a computer class of adults who were returning to college. As I learned how to help them, I started morphing into the educator I have become today. I came to understand that it is better to meet a person at exactly the level of knowledge where they currently exist, and help them move one step forward, rather than expect them to jump in and understand everything.

From 2000-2012, as a 2nd and 3rd grade classroom teacher, I would search for ways to incorporate technology into my teaching. I ran into many hurdles such as Microsoft Office products in the lab not communicating with Open Office products on the classroom computers, sites like Shutterfly being blocked, and YouTube not being accessible during school hours. I did as much as I could though, and kept on learning.

My 3rd grade students made Venn diagrams of their animal reports on readwritethink.org




In 2011, I was hired as a Teacher on Assignment for Ed. Services at our District Office. My job description: Learn as much about the Common Core as possible, and teach the teachers. Mission accepted. I figured out how to make my own YouTube video through Animoto, and put this together in response to the question I commonly heard: 

Am I teaching Common Core?


The more I learned about the Common Core, the more I realized how deeply technology was connected to the standards. I found some standard topics I had never taught before like Digital Publishing, and Creating Audio Recordings. This language led me to the discovery of tools such as Popplet and Audioboo.

Click link to see an Audioboo Example

Here is a Popplet a student did showing multiplication arrays around the house. 



I started attending technology conferences like the Google Summit in Roseville, and the CUE conference in Natomas. In those sessions I learned about the power of connecting with other educators and learning from my peers.

This week I participated in my first Twitter chat and was blown away by the collective brain power that was out there. I have discovered a feeling of relief that I don't have to figure all of this out alone.

Currently, my goal is to continue meeting our district teachers right where they are and helping them to take the next step forward in their own personal tech journey. What do you want to learn?

(The best advice I have learned to give them is: When tech isn't working- switch browsers!)

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sally!
    Yay! Welcome to the world of blogging! Great post! I think we all have a unique tech journey and I am always amazed at how fast things change. I am also so excited to see so many new teachers from Dry Creek and on Twitter. Truly, Twitter has changed my life. Happy learning and blogging! I can't wait to read more from you!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to continue to learn how to have the kids collaborate and use technology in the actual learning. Not just a toy or fun activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start to blogging. Thanks for showcasing all the amazing things that can be done with technology as a compliment to good teaching!
    ~ When tech doesn't work, don't panic and deploy the airbag before you bang your head on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for helping to get this process started. It's more fun to learn with a team rather than by yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your page, still figuring mine out. Got some fantastic responses and chats.
    http://advlit1876silv.blogspot.com/2014/04/the-question.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also created a Twitter account for our advanced class: @EDROHonors

    ReplyDelete
  7. When teachers try out new tools, it is exciting to watch the questions that come out of the process. Why should I use this tool? What will the students get out of it? How do we use it and how can we share it? This is a fun ride.

    ReplyDelete