Monday, April 21, 2014

I'm a Nerd

I’m a nerd, and proud of it. I don’t hide the fact that I love learning, in fact, this probably comes as no surprise to those of you that know me! I am in my element when I am researching, discovering, and sharing what I found. (I might be a bit related to my Dad in that way.)

My favorite hobby is reading. I will read anything: children’s books, murder mysteries, historical romance, young adult novels, blog posts, articles, etc… My husband says I read more than anyone he has ever met.

I typically have at least ten tabs open on my computer and switch frequently between them. I have Facebook, email, Twitter, my fun book, blog posts, my latest tech tool, and the book I am reading to my son, all open and ready for my attention at a moment’s notice. I don’t stick with any of them for very long, but switch back and forth as the mood strikes me. In this way, I am constantly soaking up information, and I am thriving.

Current Tabs:



That is why this current job I am in suits me so well. I have been given the direction to learn as much as possible about the Common Core, and figure out how to help support our district teachers in their implementation. My brain has expanded so much in the last two years because of the time I have had to learn, experiment and revise my thinking. I know how lucky I am to have landed in this space, and I look forward to even more opportunities to grow.

Believe me, I know not everyone appreciates this character trait all the time, and that is fine with me. When I post on Facebook, Tweet or email, I don’t have an expectation that everyone who sees it will soak it up on the spot, or even read it. My hope is that people who see what I share will remember it is there when their own need arises to make use of that knowledge. When I go overboard, people will tell me to simmer down, and I can handle that too. I am the queen of the grand idea that gets revised, and reworked into practicality by those around me. I am good with that. That is a skill I hope to pass onto my own child: adaptability.

I think that being a nerd is cool today. Those of you that have attended a conference recently, or who have jumped on Twitter for professional purposes have seen the evidence of nerdiness in its current state. There are a lot of people out there who love learning just as much as I do, and that feeds my energy even more.

That is why I like presenting or putting on Staff Development trainings. I like to be around other people who are ready to learn. The room is full of positive energy, open minds, and forward momentum. That is a great place to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment